Extending Circular G Plan Teak Dining Table with 4 McIntosh of Kirkcaldy Chairs

£599.00

A beautifully designed & crafted dining set.

1 in stock

Description

This table and chairs show a distinct Danish influence, typical of the period. This classic mid-century G Plan dining table comes with 4 chairs and extends to accommodate 6 people if required. The 4 chairs were made by McIntosh of Kirkcaldy and come with black vinyl seat pads. A beautifully designed & crafted extending dining set, this combination has that stylish retro look to it.

British furniture manufacturing company GPlan was launched in 1953, but its roots go back much further. In 1898, Ebenezer Gomme (1858–1931) set up a fine woodworking atelier, E. Gomme Ltd., in High Wycombe, England, a major center of British furniture manufacturing.

Although most of the British public reverted to traditional tastes after the war, there was a small but growing market for high-quality, modernist furniture, and G-Plan successfully spoke to this younger, more progressive audience. Through clever marketing campaigns, G-Plan set the standard for modernist, mass-market furniture in postwar Britain. G-Plan’s C Range, with an aesthetic that celebrated its machine production, was launched in 1953, and by 1957 it had become enormously popular.

By the 1960s, the Scandinavian look was sweeping international design, and British-made furniture was being outsold by Danish imports. To compete, G-Plan brought in Danish designer Ib Kofod-Larsen to create new collections in fine woods, like teak and rosewood. While these Kofod-Larsen pieces have become very collectible today, at the time, they were not well appreciated by the design community—perhaps viewed as lesser variations on the furniture available from Scandinavia. Despite the competition, G-Plan remained one of the most recognized names in furniture manufacturing in the UK through the end of the 1970s.

Scottish furniture manufacturer McIntosh is best known on the vintage market for their mid-century style furniture, particularly for teak cabinetry and sideboards. Founded in 1869 by Alexander Henry (A.H) McIntosh (1835-1919) in Kirkcaldy, Fife. The business quickly grew in size, requiring new, larger premises just a decade later. In 1879, McIntosh bought a new factory and opened Victoria Cabinet Works a year later.

Despite an aesthetic that could be described as Danish modern, the company marketed itself, both at home and abroad, as a proud Scottish firm that utilized traditional processes and that employed local, highly-skilled cabinetmakers. The McIntosh label, which survives on many 1950s and 1960s pieces, shows the Scottish thistle and crown, a long-time symbol of Scotland. From 1948 until 1983, Tom Robertson worked as head designer for the firm; creating his most notable design, the teak Dunvegan sideboard (1960s) known for its sculpted handles.

The table top is in super condition as we’ve had it refinished to a high standard by a professional furniture restorer.

Width 122cm x Height 73cm (Extends to 168cm)

CONTACT US

ADDRESS

121-127 Lancefield Street
(Within Glasgow City Antiques)
Glasgow
G3 8HZ
T: 07534 323 180
E: info@retrovintageonline.co.uk